Tips for Getting Rid of Mold Permanently in Your Home

Black molds may be growing in your home without your knowledge. That is because molds mainly grow in the dark, warm, and humid areas that are out of sight.

Be sure to remove black molds as soon as possible to prevent further spreading because they multiply quickly as long as conditions are right. Untreated molds may cause respiratory issues, aggravating asthma and allergies. Due to its ability to snowball and its adverse effects on your family’s health, you should remove them before they spread.

Before taking any action, identify the cause of the mold, and then prepare your room for a thorough cleaning. Ensure that you remove all furniture, fabrics, and electrical equipment from the affected area. It is also advisable that you wear protective gear before the clean-up. Porous walls covered with cement or stone require a chemical solution to remove mold. These are some of them;

1. Clean with a Borax solution

  • In one gallon of hot water, mix one cup of Borax, close the container and shake well to dissolve the Borax.
  • Use a spray bottle to apply to the affected areas.
  • Use a brush and scrub off the mold and then wipe the surface clean and dry. You can choose to leave the solution on the affected areas without rinsing. The remaining Borax will help prevent the mold from recurring, providing you a permanent mold issue.

2. Vinegar and Baking Soda

Be sure to remove black molds as soon as possible to prevent further spreading because they multiply quickly as long as conditions are right. It is the most effective method since it penetrates porous material and destroys the mold at the root.

For good results,

  •  In a spray bottle, pour white vinegar, do not dilute.
  • Spray the vinegar on the affected surface and leave it for one hour.
  •  Wipe the surface clean with a sponge and warm water.
  •  Pour two cups of water and a teaspoon of baking soda into a spray bottle and shake well to mix.
  • Spray the baking soda solution onto the affected area and use a brush to scrub the mold.

Baking soda is a natural solution that you can use to kill mold and doubles up as a deodorant that removes damp smells from the mold. It also absorbs moisture creating a non-conducive environment for mold.

Use this method repeatedly until you are satisfied with the results.

3.    Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil has both antifungal and antibacterial properties, making them practical for removing mold. There are different methods you can use when it comes to tea tree oil; this is one.

  • Mix two spoons of tea tree oil with two cups of warm water and stir to dissolve. Pour the solution into a spray bottle.
  • Apply the tea tree oil mixture to the affected area and leave it for an hour. If you don’t have a spray bottle, soak a towel in the solution and use it in the mold-affected place.
  • Using a brush, scrub off the mold on the surface.
  • Clean the surface with your recommended surface cleaner and leave it for some time. Scrub the surface and wipe off the debris.

Repeat if necessary until you eradicate the mold.

4.     Use  Grapefruit Seed Extract

Grapefruit contains citric acid, which kills mold naturally, making it an effective cleaner. It can also be a good deodorant.

  •  Use 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract for a cup of water.
  • Pour the solution onto the spray bottle and shake well to mix.
  • You can use a spray bottle or a damp cloth to apply the solution to the affected area. Use a scrub to remove the debris from the surface, leave it to dry naturally.

5. Bleach

Bleach is a powerful method of killing mold on non-porous walls. Bleach produces harsh fumes,  be sure to wear gloves to protect your hands and ventilate the room before cleaning.

  •  Use a ratio of 10 cups of bleach per gallon of water to make the recommended solution.
  • Apply the solution to a non-porous surface using a spray bottle.
  • Don’t rinse the surface afterward; this is unless you use it for food preparation or is accessible by children.

The above methods of mold removal will certainly help. However, it is important to realize that there is no outright way of eliminating all molds once it has formed in an indoor environment. The most practical way to take care of mold is to prevent its formation. To do this, ensure your home is well lit, adequately ventilated and that there is no dampness.